Saturday, October 30, 2010

Out Come The Dutchies!


So, my hubby says to me-- Checkie(or Jacquie for those of you who aren't PA dutch)-- we need to make some pot pie!  And I said, "whell, yous know I am always good for sum starch with starch and a lil' chickn!"  So we go to the frigiator and get a chicken and roasted it.. He cleaned it real gut.  and nowuh we are makin our own nooodles from scratch! (oh, i give up, it's hard to write that accent out...)

Although my hubby is one half PA dutch (it's a strong and dominant half) we didn't ever get his grandma's recipe.  I don't think she knows what a good cook her grandson is, so she only ever taught the granddaughters I believe. Oh if only she knew.  He can roll dough with the best of them.  Well, since we didn't have grandma Young's recipe, we started by looking at this one:  


which sounded mostly like pot pie (without the corn, we've just never traditionally used corn).
And it is a good starchy meal.  White with white and more white.  We adapted some of it, but started with her noodles. The real gut part here is the doughy noodles.  Yum.  
So, we made those noodles, and let them dry.  Roasted a whole chicken with some thyme, salt, pepper and oil, and picked it apart.  Then cut up some potatoes.  We had left over celery and a shallot and we  threw them in a bowl to wait.

Then boiled some homemade chicken stock plus a box of store bought (I'd say about 8-10 cups of chicken stock).  As it was boiling, we threw in 2 tablespoons of magic chicken base, which is really called "better than bullion".  When that came to a rolling boil, we added the celery, potatoes and shallot and cooked for ten minutes, then added the noodles one at a time and cooked them for about 15 minutes, then threw in most of a chicken and cooked it all for 5 more minutes.  It was the best pot pie we've ever had.  Really.  Scott also heavily salted and peppered it all.  It was simply amazing.  And everyone agreed (a rarity at our house).

Tonight's learnings:
I love cooking with my husband.  
Love making things from scratch when we can.
Love being in our new kitchen no matter what.
It's good to be home.




Neena and Isaac answering the question: "who wants a biscuit?"


Ike testing the noodles to make sure they are good!

She may be cute, but she's nothin but trouble! Especially at the dinner table.
--
Blessings on your homes tonight...
Blessings when yous outen the light
Blessings when yous tuck into bed...
Blessings on each little head...
-- much love, Checkie, Neena and the dutchies...





2 comments:

  1. Love this!! I wasn't aware you were writing a blog but I will certainly be back to read more. Blessings, Candi

    ReplyDelete
  2. So maybe it's because I'm stressed or maybe it's because I love your family so stinking much, but reading this post made me cry. Literally. I'm sitting here, crying.

    ReplyDelete