Sunday, October 9, 2011

Too Much Fall? Is that possible?

Over the course of the last few days I've had: mulled cider, pumpkin butter, steel cut oatmeal with apples and raisins, turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes, apple pie and a butternut squash and vanilla bean risotto.      What I have learned is:   I Love fall, and almost all of the typical fall foods.  You can have too much of a good thing though.  I loved the cider- the oatmeal, the pumpkin butter.  Sadly, I just cannot love the butternut squash and vanilla bean risotto.  I wanted to so much!!  It sounds perfect!  And, I had had this in NY with my dear friend Court-- and I liked it there but we had had so so much good food-- that I may have just been on a food high.  Now that I've had time to ponder it-- the vanilla doesn't add much in my mind- if anything- it distracts from the risotto and the squash (to my taste anyway).  It also is a very expensive ingredient to dislike or even "not love" in something.  So next time, I will leave out a little bit of something I love and streamline things a little.  In this case, I believe, less will be more.  As for the season of fall.... I just can't get enough of that good thing.  Tomorrow I will dive right back into fall food joy.  There will be a pumpkin spice latte, or a chai, or a salted caramel mocha... maybe some apple pie.  Yeah... I can't get enough of autumn.  The weather, the food, the time of transition- none of it needs streamlined... I just want MORE of it.  As far as seasons go-- it is complete perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment