Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A few things I learned at the manicurist...

In January my thumbnails started splitting back really far. It was awful, and painful and I wanted it fixed and I also wanted my nails to look long and pretty like they used to... So I started going to a local strip mall "Nails" place to get acrylic nails.  I'm not sure if it even has a name-- it may just be "nails/OPEN"...
They are near my starbucks and in a relatively comfortable setting, so, that's where I go.
But now that I've been going to get my nails done for the last 8 or so weeks, I've learned a few things.

1.  Pretty things sometimes cost money or take time or both.  Be prepared to pay and lose your most precious commodity: time
2.  Sometimes you are caught in a vicious cycle- either accept it, or don't, but there's no point in bitching about it unless you are trying to change it (fake nails need maintained- every two weeks- ugh).
3.  If you've spent a lot of time choosing something and planning and you've picked a nice safe color that is appropriate for meetings and your job, and you go there on a cold and dreary night--- then you should probably NOT stare at the pretty, bright, fun, easter,spring colored, shiny, pink bottle that the person before you used and that is sitting there next to your "business casual" mauve.  Cause at the last minute your stupid -whimiscal-split personalitied "P" type self might take over and when she says "this you color? "- you'll say-- "... ummmm.....NO!  let me try THAT one!"
 and then you will end up the next day having regrets about the hideous, 1980's, neon, pinkish, weird, obnoxious color you are stuck with until you want to pay $6 to get the boring mauve you'd originally spent 10 minutes choosing put on in place of the "sluts of the 80's pink" you'll be wearing to teach youth ministry this week.
Oh yes,  morning after regrets are for more than just sex. Really-- I can regret ALL SORTS OF STUFF!!
like this:
and they're even tackier in person...
Back to just a few more lessons:

4.  Men who come into get their nails done at a strip mall in lancaster, pa,  are only there to hit on the pretty asian girls, not because they really like manicures...
5. these men are creepy..
6. and gross... so... avoid them... cause... ICK!!!

7. The Asian women who are looking at you and talking in Vietnamese (?) and giggling are not necessarily talking about you. or laughing at you..

8. well not necessarily, but probably. yes, probably they are...

9.  people who are paranoid and insecure should learn to speak vietnamese before going to the "nails/OPEN" store.

10.  I am signing up for Vietnamese lessons next week.

Good night friends-- and stop laughing at me.
:P

3 comments:

  1. my friend susan is Vietnamese, maybe she can give you an audio list of words to listen for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic post! although 4,5,&6 really gross me out.. i mean...seriously?!

    ReplyDelete