Thursday, January 7, 2010

Odd things kids eat



This is one of the little people who lives with us.  And he is odd... Let me give an example.  We had leftovers and odds and ends for dinner last night.  There was some fajita chicken from a local Peruvian/ Mexican Place mixed in with some scrambled eggs, some Queso and Blue Corn chips, some sugar snap peas and a little bit of leftover malfalda noodes.  We also had fresh good bread for anyone that wanted some and I offered up some PB & J for the little people.  Our girl child ate eggs, eggs and more eggs, picked over the chicken, had a few noodles and ate two corn chips.  The boy child ate sugar snap peas.  Blanched sugar snap peas.  And just a little pasta.  He is so very odd.  Tonight for dinner: Broccoli and half a baked potato.  He is a funny funny little man who LOVES green veggies.  And I love him for it.
Meanwhile his sister tonight had noodles and mushrooms.  She LOVEs mushrooms.  Odd.  Very Odd.

Earlier this week I made a wildly interesting attempt at gnocchi. It was too eggy in my opinion and too potatoey in Scott's opinion.  The little people inhaled it, loved it, and were mad when we ran out.  The pictures of it aren't great, but the gnocchi wasn't either- so - I'm not posting either and we'll try again soon.  In the meantime, the sauces that I whipped up were FABULOUS!  here are the sauces, they are stupidly simple (yet, I had never thought to do them before-- so I throw that out there for ya'll)  and they are good on bread or, I think, probably anything.  I might eat paper if coated in brown butter. :-)

Brown butter "sauce":
Brown 1/2 cup of butter just slightly in a pan, transfer to a little serving dish along with two tablespoons of any fresh herb you love (I divided the butter in half and used one tablespoon of chopped sage in one dish, and one tablespoon of fresh thyme, with 4 tablespoons of butter in each dish. Yum!)

The other sauce we made (I knew three of our eaters would HATE this-- so I only made enough for scott and I, and still had some leftover) was the Blue Cheese sauce:
In a small saucepan over medium heat I put half a cup of milk and half a cup of heavy cream.  I let it come up to a simmer and threw in two tablespoons of parmesan, two tablespoons of blue cheese (a mild one) and lots of pepper.  It was light and lovely (for blue cheese).  Anyhow-- I will be trying that pasta again-- it has potential. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment